WEEK 30 Baptisms-getting transferred!-caught fish-service project

YES!!! Thank you!! Packages are literally the best! Catching up after not being able to email last week.  Two weeks ago we had that baptism for that one guy who was a little in trouble with the law but everything all worked out. Then this last week we just had 3 more freakin baptisms!! They're all like 15 but their families are members. We gotta do some tracting and find some more people. Tracting here is hard sometimes. With the culture, we go into a house and they have to let
us sit down and usually give us a drink.  But sometimes they are angry and just don't listen. If you make them laugh and make fun of them they will like you and listen. It's hard sometimes because I'm new to the culture and language, but I can do it.

There is like millions of dogs everywhere in the jungle and everywhere else. One of the members just had puppies and we told them we were gonna take one. They said alright. So we took one this one night after dinner and rode our bikes all the way across the island to our house. So now we
have a pet puppy named Bofa.(I named him). He is so annoying during the night sometimes. I also found a dog skull and put it on this black rock next to the house where Bofa stays, and it looks sick.

This last month it didn't rain at all. Then, the past couple of days it poured so hard. Especially yesterday. Yesterday we went fishing again. I caught 4 and my comp caught like 9. There are so many fish. We use a stick, fishing wire, and crab butts, and low tide is all you need. Way fun! It was raining super hard and we just kept on fishing because its not cold at all.

Our service this last week we cleaned out a well. The wells in this village are super deep, like 15-20 feet deep. There is no machines out here, just men so we get buckets and it takes like 4 people in
the well. One at bottom, one a little higher, one higher and so forth. The person at the bottom scoops dirty poo water into buckets and passes them up. We clean them out all the time and its pretty fun.
One thing I really want to find is a big shell so that you can cut it and make it a horn. They are a little rare and when we were cleaning the well there was one inside, but it was broken dang it!
Anyways I'm actually healthy now and have energy because I'm not sick, so this week should be good!

Transfers just happened I think, so I got at least another month here. I really like it here on outer island, and don't wanna go back and work on Tarawa because everyone is so strict.

My comp rips his pants everyday and asks this older lady to sew them back. One day they were dirty as heck and he didn't want to ask her. So he wore a bae(skirt) for the day hahaha. You can't do that on
Tarawa.

How's home?
Anyways, Peace
Elder Carla

ADDITIONAL EMAIL came through an hour later!

What the heck I just found out I'm getting transferred... I don't know when I'm leaving.  I'm going
crazy right now I just found out I'm getting freakin transferred to Nonouti!! Dang it I don't wanna leave here. But Nonouti is an outer island! So we are good! Dang I'm shocked.. idk when I leave tho.. it could be like a month, I have no clue, because we have no communication. I'll try and keep you updated.  If I get transferred I go to Tarawa first and if I go to Tarawa I'll try and Skype! Anyways gotta go to the airport and see if another elder comes off.. peace
love elder Carla

Elder Bowen is currently on the island of Nikunau.  He will be transferred closer to the Equator on the island of Nonouti which appears to be attached to another island. It runs about 30 miles long and full of white beach.


This is a picture of the ferry which sank around January 18, 2018 beginning travels on island of Nonouti to Betio which is 160 miles and would last two days.  It never arrived which prompted recue efforts.  Within time, 7 people were recued floating in a dingy after 5 days.  The remain children, teenagers, and adults were all lost at sea.  Most were traveling with their children to start school.  Elder Bowen is being transferred to this island of Nonouti suffering with great loss of life.

Comments