WEEK 54 Story time! Big Rat - dogs - broken bike - NO power!


This week was pretty legit!

 1) My companion was sitting on the john at our house (I never use it #beachisbetter) and he looked up and sees another big rat. He finished his business and tells me to come and see this huge rat. As I was walking I grabbed my machete. I get to the bathroom and this thing is thick. So I took a swing at this guy, and somehow managed to get him and pin him down. This giant rat squealed so loud. Then I quickly picked up my machete and swung again to crush its skull to kill this piece of garbage who eats our stuff. I swung again and again until it stopped trying to run. Then finally a big swing to put it asleep. And boom the rat died with my machete. Unfortunately, I had to clean all the blood up, and off my machete, but I would say worth it! Rats not allowed in the house!


 2) When we go out and work if a member or investigator dog barks at us I usually tell them, "ah ningai ti na kana ami kamea" (so when are we gonna kill and eat ur dog)? And they always laugh and think it's funny that us elders want to eat dog. Here in Kiribati the population of dogs is insane, so they eat them all the time. Anyways, that same day I killed the rat we worked and then went to dinner. As we arrived they told us we were eating Blacky. I didn't understand at first. Then I realized that it was their big black super nice dog. Hahaha. It was so good. More meat and less fat than a pig. It kinda tasted like that meat mom puts in the croc pot, it was so flipping good.#food


 3) We had a service of cleaning out another well this week. It was a house pretty far north. About a 1 and half hour ride on bikes. After riding about 1 hr my companion breaks his bike in a dip in the path, have to watch for them closely.  He broke 19 spokes on his back wheel. Then I asked what the plan was, and he didn't know. So I asked a family to help us. They agreed. Some guy was going to take my companion to the service house. They rode on the back of a motor cycle while I followed on my bike. We arrived to service house, clean out well, and then we had to deal with transportation. We asked if they could give another ride with their motor cycle up to central elders house- 20 min away. They said sure. And as we were going a huge flipping storm came. They sped up to where I was alone just riding my bike in huge storm. The I go on this bride and look up and the rain is falling sideways. And almost blew me off bridge hahaha it was awesome. Then I fixed companions bike and we took the journey home.

 4) So we have had no power at our house for about 2 weeks. We told the company that owns the house and to tell the electrician. But he is soo lazy and lives up north. So it would be like 1 hr 30 min ride for him on bike. So me and my companion usually lock the front and back door of our house now, after someone went in and stole some stuff. But all last week and this week we have left the back door open just in case electrician decides to do his job and give us some power. So Saturday comes and there was a baptism up  north. So me and companion get on my bike and go north. I was on the handle bars while he rode because he broke his bike. There at the baptism Elder Guiles told me he saw the electrical man riding down south with his stuff! Then after the baptism we stay at central house because all elders are sick except for me and Elder Hansen. Then evening came around and we started going home. As we were going home we were told a big party was going on in the jungle right next to us at someones house. I said ah we should  hurry so nobody goes in the house and robs us. Then my companion said I locked it. Then I stopped my bike. Trying to accept what he just told me.  The 1 day probably out of the whole month that the electrician works and comes all the way down my companion locked the door. The 1 day I didn't check to make sure my companion didn't lock it. I had to tell so many people so many different days to try and have someone fix the power.......ugggg! #nopowerstinks


 Without my portable solar charger/light we would be screwed because my companion didn't bring any light so......#beprepared #boyscoutsofamerica #lettheirbelight


As of now it's finally p day. I think we are gonna try and go to that small island on a boat and maybe fishing! But we will see.  Going to be a great day!


 Tiabo!
Elder Bowen

                                                          ONE YEAR AGO in MTC-PROVO!!!!
   Original intake to the islands...One year mark!



 

Comments