WEEK 62 Blessings from serving a mission!

 
 Mom note:  Since Carson has been out serving well over a year, I asked him to send me his thoughts of his mission life, changes he has made in himself, and what he has ultimately learned.  Wow, what a thoughtful response I have received back!  Love this boy and his acknowledge his Blessings from serving a full time mission:
Mauri!
 
 
 
 I am a hardworking, happy person and have earned my eagle scout award, had many jobs, played many sports and am currently serving a mission in Kiribati (Gilbertese) Islands as District Leader on an outer island called Abemama. I'm not offended if you need to pull out a map, because I sure did as well. During my time serving these wonderful people on these small islands, isolated from the "outside word" with the Pacific Ocean being on my left and right, my life has changed and has been a humbling experience. Learning to respect a different culture, speak and understand a new language, fishing for food, and adapting to lifestyles such as sitting on the ground or on woven coconut leaves while preaching the gospel to God's children, has opened my eyes to a new perspective on what is important in this life. In my journeys and wild adventures here, I have learned that you don't need a Ferrari or a huge mansion to be happy in this life. When I first arrived here into this country, getting off the plane I was very confused and sweaty. I looked at the international airport and it was made from sticks. Then I looked a little into the distance and saw their houses, or huts, in which they lived. At this very time in my mission I knew that I was sent here to serve the Lord and be humbled. At that time, I did not understand how these people were so happy when they lived under these small huts, made from sticks, and chop coconuts to make money. Now, being a little seasoned, having 1 year behind me, I have been blessed to understand that happiness does not come from riches or material possessions. Happiness simply comes from living the gospel and principles of Jesus Christ and serving others who share and do not share the same values and standards as myself. I love my mission!
 
 
 
 
 
 
Elder Bowen
 
 

Comments